https://thedepanneur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TheDep_SM.png 0 0 lensenater https://thedepanneur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TheDep_SM.png lensenater2013-02-13 10:29:002017-07-04 22:28:40Secret Heart - the adventure...
Secret Heart – the adventure…
This Thursday’s Valentine’s Day Supper Club, Secret Heart, is by far the most extravagant, outrageous and perverse culinary activity I’ve ever undertaken. I have been fantasizing about this meal for weeks, obsessively researching exotic ingredients and obscure recipes. Some of the highlights include:
- infusing my own secret “Love Potion”, a spicy, fragrant oil as a garnish for the oyster bar by award-winning mothershucker Sue Littleton, with a choice mix of West and East Coast oysters
- the delicate flowery notes of unfiltered milk sake
- snagging the last 3 jars of peppery nasturtium-bud capers from local herbalists Sage Rising
- the maddening, city-wide hunt for duck hearts
- finding fresh Jamaican nutmegs, still cloaked in their lacy skeins of mace
- 12 lbs of veal bones being reduced into the port-spiked demi-glace for dunking
- Marc Eber’s wild foraged mushrooms, including a rare fresh spring truffle
- the still-living, piquant sprouted salad and micro greens from Kind Earth Organics
- buying huge blocks of high-end Callebaut 70% cacao couverture chocolate
- convincing the maker of Toronto’s most sought-after French macarons to make me a special, private batch
- butchering black chickens and discovering that even their bones are black
- geeking out with Brad K over the myriad plating details and tasting notes
This is going to be a unique, memorable and potently charged dining experience.