The Depanneur + The Bentway present: Communal Picnic 2021
Following up on our successful 2019 Communal Table dinners and 2020 Communal Picnics, The Depanneur & The Bentway have teamed up again to offer another delicious program of culinary experiences. Our 2021 Communal Picnic dinner series is designed to be enjoyed safely and responsibly, and take advantage of the unique Bentway site.
On Thursdays in July & August — from Canada Day to Labour Day — The Depanneur will curate a selection of 10 different meals prepared by a diverse group of local chefs, all packaged up for fast, minimal-contact pickup. (July 1 – Sept 2)
The Bentway offers a spacious, family-friendly outdoor environment that spans several square kilometres of urban space where these meals can be enjoyed.
Picnic Dinners must be pre-ordered online (see listings below) for pickup at The Bentway on Thursdays(6-7pm). You are encouraged to bring your own cutlery & plates, and are invited to take your meals to any of the nearby tables, enjoy them as a picnic on the abundant adjacent greenspace, or to take them home.
To help foster a spirit of inclusion and accessibility, Pay It Forward meals are also available. The Depanneur and The Bentway will supplement Pay It Forward donations to help provide fresh meals for The Fort York-Spadina Community Care Program to distribute to those in need in the community.
Communal Picnic At A Glance
- Communal Picnic dinners will be held Thursdays from July 1 to September 2
- Menus will be available for purchase up to 48 hrs prior to pick up, or until they sell out.
- Meals must be purchased in advance online (see event listings below).
- 3-course dinners are $59 for 2, $109 for 4, and $159 for 6 (+HST).
- To minimize packaging & waste, single meals are not available.
- Meat and vegetarian options are available for each meal, but no substitutions or other customizations can be accommodated.
- Picnic dinners come pre-packaged and are available for minimal-contact pickup at The Bentway on Thursdays between 6-7pm.
- Pick up is at Stratchan Gate, at the West end of The Bentway (250 Fort York Blvd), just East of Stratchan Ave, and north of the Fort York Armoury.
- Pick up is rain or shine; no refunds for uncollected meals.
- If you wish to onsite at The Bentway, you must bring your own cutlery and plates.
- Disposable cutlery is NOT included, and there will NOT be dishwashing facilities available on site, so please plan accordingly — you may wish to bring an extra bag to take your dishes home.
- Non-alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase on site.
- Guests are asked to wear masks when picking up their meals or to access the on-site washrooms, and respectfully maintain social distance while waiting.
- Bentway washrooms and site furniture are be available for use until 7pm
- Picnic tables are be available near the west end of the site, and available on a first-come, first-served basis, but please note that these furnishings cannot be sanitized.
- Guests are free to use the tables available on site, but please do not move tables or chairs, or seat more than 6 people per picnic table.
- Guests are also encouraged to bring a picnic blanket and find a spot to relax on the grass, in the event that all tables are occupied.
- Please help us keep the space clean and safe for everyone by using the garbage and recycling bins available on site.
Upcoming Communal Picnics
Upcoming Events › Bentway Communal Picnic
- No matching events listed under Bentway Communal Picnic. Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of events.
Pay It Forward
At check out, you will be given the opportunity to either contribute towards a supplemental Pay It Forward meal. For every Pay It Forward meal purchased, The Depanneur and The Bentway will work together to provide a second meal to double the impact of your generosity. All Pay it Forward funds will be used to create fresh meals for the The Fort York-Spadina Community Care Program; @spafycc
The Bentway is located under the Gardiner Expressway on the lands of Fort York National Historic Site, running just east of the Fort York Visitor Centre (250 Fort York Blvd.) to Bastion Street. Visit The Bentway website for more information about this unique venue.
While You’re In The Area…
In addition to The Bentway itself, there are many interesting urban spaces in the vicinity that would make a fine spot for a picnic, stroll or adventure!
Garrison Crossing Bridge • Garrison Common • Waterfront Wave Deck • Coronation Park • Trillium Park
Where is The Bentway and how do I get there?
The Bentway is located under the Gardiner Expressway on the lands of Fort York National Historic Site, running just east of the Fort York Visitor Centre (250 Fort York Blvd) to Bastion Street. > Google Map
Take the TTC:
- 511 Bathurst (note: Buses are currently operating on a revised route due to construction) )
- 509 Harbourfront (at at Fort York Blvd.)
- 121 Fort York-Esplanade at Gzowski Blvd (westbound) or Bastion St (eastbound)
Bike to The Bentway!
Use Bike Share Toronto’s System Map, or download CycleFinder or Transit app to locate stations and plan your route with real-time bike and station availability. The closest stations to The Bentway are Fort York Blvd/Garrison Rd, Strachan Ave/Princes’ Blvd, and Fort York Blvd/Bathurst St.
Paid parking is available at 800 Fleet Street, as well as in the Fort York Visitor Centre parking lot.
What if it rains?
Meal pickup will take place rain or shine; no refunds will be issued for meals not picked up.
Are there washrooms at The Bentway?
The Bentway provides accessible public washrooms, located in the middle of the site just west of the skate trail. Please note: Due to COVID-19, a limited number of stalls are available and masks are required to access these facilities. Please practice safe physical distancing protocols while visiting. Washrooms and site furniture are available for people to use until 7:30pm only.
Can I BYOB?
There will not be any beverages included in the meals. Some non-alcoholic beverages may be available for purchase on site, and there are water fountains on The Bentway property. You are encouraged to bring a beverage of your choice, but be aware that City of Toronto by-laws prohibit the consumption of alcohol in public.
Can you accommodate special dietary restrictions?
As meals are prepared and pre-packaged off site, and the menus being prepared are for this event only, we are not able to accommodate specific dietary restrictions beyond the meat and vegetarian options that are available. The Depanneur will try and clarify any potential allergens in the event description. If you have specific questions about ingredients, please contact The Depanneur directly.