Discover how quick an easy it can be to make your own fresh pasta at home at this fun and hands-on workshop. Participants will learn two basic dough recipes (one that will include eggs, one that will not (vegan)) using local ingredients such as organic flour, eggs, vegetables and locally-made ricotta, that are the basis of a wide variety of different types of pastas. If you happen to own your own a pasta machine, you are encouraged to bring it along, otherwise one will be provided.
Pastas that will be demonstrated and made by participants include: Tagliatelle, Papardelle, Farfalle (butterflies), Tagliarini, Maltagliati, Lasagne, Chitarra (rolled on a “guitar”),Orecchiette, Torfie, Pici and Garganelli and Cavatelli (both rolled on a gnocchi board) as well as Ravioli.
Robert will be covering;
– The differences between pasta varieties, their function in relation to what sauce suits them best, and why.
– Understanding the basic ratios for making fresh pasta.
– Developing, rolling and understanding the properties of a good dough.
– Cutting, shaping, rolling and cooking fresh pasta.
– Sauces such as Tomato, Meat Sugo, Seafood, Carbonara, Pesto and Butter Sauces
– Canning your sauce to take home/store for the winter
– Ravioli fillings such as spinach and ricotta as well as roasted squash
– What cheese to pair with what sauce
– Regional differences
– Secrets from Italy and some advanced techniques for impressing friends and family.
Participants will learn about, make and eat lots of fresh pasta, and possibly take some home (if there’s any left!). Robert will also provide a take-home recipe leaflet with the pasta dough, sauces and fillings learned in the class.
Robert Rubino trained as a chef at The Culinary Institute of America, and recently returned from a year of studying, working and making a variety of fresh pastas by hand every day in the Emilia Romagna region of Italy. Considered the fresh pasta capital of the world, they are especially known for their ravioli or “stuffed pastas.”
This event is SOLD OUT
Please contact us if you would like to be put on a waiting list in the event of a last-minute cancellation.