An all-day workshop on Labour Day!
Better health, lower food costs, environmental sustainability, animal welfare; there are so many reasons that more people than ever are considering transitioning to a more local, seasonal and plant-based diet. But breaking old eating habits can be challenging, so award-winning Chef Doris Fin has come up with a fun, hands-on introduction to the world of plant-based eating. This full-day class will provide tons of useful information, tips and resources, as well as hands-on experience making a variety of delicious dishes. You’ll leave with the know-how, skills and confidence to embark on your own plant-based culinary adventure!
To start off the workshop participants will dive right into preparing a number of versatile recipes, each showcasing valuable ingredients and techniques in the plant-based kitchen. Along the way there will be plenty of discussion about nutrition, sourcing, flavours, leftovers, and more, and the food will be shared in a fun, family-style lunch.
- Eggplant Walnut Rolls with a sweet dipping sauce (eggplant and walnuts)
- Tastes Like Tuna Sushi (sunflower seeds)
- Baked Falafel with a Tahini Sauce (chickpeas & sesame)
- Roasted Seasonal Veggies (Ontario seasonal veggies)
- Moist Chewy Chocolate Brownies (almond and chickpea flours)
Chef Doris will lead an in-depth discussion around a range of topics pertaining to transitioning towards a more plant-based lifestyle.
- Eating locally and seasonally; what to buy, when and where
- Saving $; tips on getting great ingredients at great prices
- Minimizing food waste; shopping, storing and creative ideas for leftovers
- Building flavours; spices, sauces and dips – how to get the maximum flavour out of your ingredients and on to your plate
- Saving time and effort; meal planning, tips for making cooking easier and boosting kitchen confidence.
- Stocking a plant-based pantry; versatile must-haves for your kitchen
The day will wrap up with a chance for everyone to learn how to build their own customizable & healthy Energy Bars/Balls with dates, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, and coconut; roll ‘em up for an afternoon snack or to take home, along with any leftovers from lunch.
Chef Doris Fin is an award winning international chef based out of Toronto. She specializes in plant-based culinary arts, teaches interactive culinary classes, caters private events, is currently working on a cookbook and traveling for her documentary film series featuring food of the world with top chefs and farmers. She loves to ignite the intuitive inner chef in you! | chefdorisfin.com
Every week, The Depanneur invites TO’s best culinary talents to lead fun, hands-on workshops.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!